A few teams have managed to remain at the top of football polls throughout the 2015 football season. Then there are the teams that have slipped and climbed each week. It’s a new season with sectional play starting on Friday and every team is 0-0. We take a look at the teams that will continue to roll their way to Lucas Oil and the teams who could likely end up there by knocking off a few favorites.
HOT TEAM: LAFAYETTE CENTRAL CATHOLIC
SCARY TEAM: LINTON-STOCKTON
UPSET TEAM: PERRY CENTRAL
– LCC has dominated throughout the regular season and are the easy favorite in class 1A.
– Lintont-Stockton lone loss was by a forfeit.
– Perry Central could upset Linton-Stocton in the second round of Sectionals.
HOT TEAM: EVANSVILLE MATER DEI
SCARY TEAM: EASTBROOK
UPSET TEAM: INDIANAPOLIS RITTER
– Mater Dei proved their worth with a big win against rival and previous 4A number one in Reitz
– Eastbrook is undefeated and looking to prove they belong.
– Ritter has a potential date with Heritage Christian. If they pass that test, they could make some noise.
HOT TEAM: GIBSON SOUTHERN
SCARY TEAM: INDIANAPOLIS CHATARD
UPSET TEAM: FORT WAYNE LUERS
– Gibson Southern ran the table in regular season play and has depth to make a serious run.
– Chatard has the most playoff experience as a program and plays toughest schedule in 3A.
– Luers has the playmakers to put together a strong run deep into the tournament. They were our preseason favorite coming out of the North bracket.
HOT TEAM: LOWELL
SCARY TEAM: EVANSVILLE REITZ/JASPER
UPSET TEAM: INDIANAPOLIS RONCALLI
– Lowell has a star in Isaac James, leading the way with 1290 yards and 18 touchdowns on the ground.
– Who ever comes out of Sectional 24 will make a deep run into the tournament.
– Roncalli is built for the tournament. Played tough opponents in regular season play.
HOT TEAM: NEW PALESTINE
SCARY TEAM: KOKOMO
UPSET TEAM: WESTFIELD
– The obvious pick here with New Pal. They may possess the most complete team in the state.
– Kokomo is the favorite in Sectional 12 and possibly the regional game as well.
– Westfield’s body of work is enough to make them a threat in Class 5A coming out of the north.
HOT TEAM: CENTER GROVE
SCARY TEAM: WARREN CENTRAL
UPSET TEAM: HAMILTON SOUTHEASTERN
– Like New Pal, the obvious pick is Center Grove Trojans, who dominated their opponents in the toughest conference in the Midwest.
– Warren Central has two losses, both are games which they held a lead. The Warriors are gaining momentum each week. They are the scariest team in IHSAA football right now.
– HSE was crowned conference champions last week, but they will have to beat HHC rival Fishers (again) and quite possibly another rematch with conference foe Avon.